Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wisdom or Prepper



Power Out from a Storm
As I sit here in my dinning room posting tonight with the light roar of the generator running outside. I stop and  wonder how I would classify myself. Am I the wise old man that is prepared for most everything? Or am I a crazy doomsday prepper? I like to think I am the wise old man that has spent years educating myself and making sure that I can take care of my household when things go a rye.

WiFi and TV
I don't really have the chance to watch much TV any more since I have gone back to school, but I struggle doing without my Wifi. This way of thinking is how I am able to get online tonight and post. I cranked up the generator, powered up the cable modem, and I was connected is a matter of minutes. I sigh of relief come out because I had homework I had to post tonight. I also have a backup with my cell phone. I can also tether my cell phone Wifi to my lap top. It's a little slower but not bad in a pinch.


Generator and Power Cords
My generator is powerful enough to power the essentials in my house. The bad thing is the power cords you have to run through the house. I guess one day I need to wire this into the house so all I have to do is plug the generator in outside and be done. Another future project.

Work area for the night
This is where I made my camp tonight. Seemed like the logical choice. I had power to the TV to watch the news and weather for any more warnings. I started to get a little warm and muggy so I broke out with the Mr. Box Fan.





Mr. Box Fan
He is my hero tonight, at least until Mr. Air Conditioning comes back on. Then I know who my best friend will be then. No offense Mr. Box Fan, but Mr. Air Conditioning will always win out here is the South.






Can I do Without?
Without a doubt I could do without, and I have before. I usually take advantage to power outages and  break out with the old school fun. Candles and board games with the family. Since I am home alone this week, I can't really play Monopoly by myself. Technically I could, but I would be able to catch myself cheating. I remember as a kid when the power would go out it was like a whole new world of adventure. I have seen that in my own kids eyes when the power goes out. It's like a game. See what I can still do with no power.

Ride Home Video
On my way home tonight was the peak of the storm. On the highway I take to get home there was a huge tree across the road blocking traffic on one side. As I have said before I always have a camera close to me at all times. I even have a dash board mount for my GoPro. This is the video I captured from the ride home.


YouTube URL -  http://youtu.be/3FLnm--CqXE



1 comment:

  1. I would definitely call it wisdom. We lost a whole freezer worth of meat one year after an ice storm. Wished we had a generator then!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and your comments. Comments are moderated, I review them and remove any spam before posting. I check messages often.
Thanks Rob