Monday, June 3, 2013

Generational Fear of Technology


Do you have someone in your life that fears technology? The minute you mention texting or computers, they are very vocal that they have no use for technology. They even have a technical word for this fear. It's called Technophobia.

I have noticed over the years mostly with my parents generation that they seem to have no use for technology. I have found that they do not understand it, so they think they do not need it. I know many people in their 50's like me that are lucky that they can email someone. Asking them to use a cell phone gets a look on their face like you asked them to solve the theory of relativity. I have even seen the lost looks on their faces when they pull up to a drive in fast food restaurant that has more than one lane to order from.

I have kept up with technology ever since the first personal computers were out on the market. I remember sitting up late nights chatting across town in Tucson Arizona with my brother on a 300 baud modem. We thought we were in haven with the new cool technology. Look at us now. My brother still lives in Tucson and I live in North Carolina, and we can text each other from our cell phones.

Having the knowledge of technology has advanced me in my career. Without it I would not be in the position I am in today. Some will tell you that they make it each day without using this fancy technology and they are fine without it. My fear would be not knowing the technology, and someday you realize you have been left behind. 

I am amazed that both of my parents have kept up with technology despite that generations fears. We keep in touch via email when we do not always have time to call each other. My Dad has excelled at keeping up with  newer and newer camera technology. I have always wondered why some have the fear and others do not.

I have vowed that even though I am getting more advanced in years, I will keep up with technology. I will not be that person that has to go find someone to help them when they are confronted with technology. "I will not be left behind"

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, I know several people that aren't particularly tech savy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved to read, but my close vision isn't great now. I had pretty much stopped reading for fun. I recently got a Paper White Kindle. I set it for a larger font, and I'm reading up a storm (when I catch a few extra minutes).

    Technology can be frustrating when you can't figure out something. I definitely think it's worth hanging in there though. Once you get it down, it really isn't hard. It just seems like it when it's not clicking right at the start.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and your comments. Comments are moderated, I review them and remove any spam before posting. I check messages often.
Thanks Rob