Saturday, June 1, 2013

Old Man defeats Warrior Dash


Warrior Dash rocks. This the third year in a row that I have run in the Charlotte Warrior Dash and have successfully completed it each year. I run in the 50-59 year old division. This race is a 5k run with challenging obstetrical spaced through out the race.



The 5k run is challenging enough, but to add the obstetrical along the way steps the race up to a new level. Obstetrical like cargo nets, fire jump, rope bridge, chain bridge, car climb, other man made obstetrical that must be traversed to continue. There are several other obstetricals along the way and the race ended with a pit of mud that took 5 minutes to get through. The video below is me climbing the rope wall. This video was shot using my GoPro® camera which shot some awesome footage.



This is the fire break that had two fire walls in a row that had to be jumped. You had to have some speed to make it over without singeing the hair on your legs.
















The final obstetrical that you had to get through was the mud pit. This pit was 3 foot of the thickest sticky mud you have ever seen. To top it off, there was very low hanging barbed wire over the pit. I figure it was about 60 feet long pit of this mud to had to get through. The picture below was shot from my GoPro® camera before I got in. There was a lady in front of my that lost her shoe when she got in and could not pull it out. She gave up trying to get the shoe and left it behind.


 Just so you can get a perspective of the race, here is my before and after shot. One of me at the starting line, the other at the end if the race.


             Clean me, at the starting line

              Dirty me, at the finish line






I can not say enough great thing about my GoPro® camera. Not a drop of water or mud got into my camera case. And as you can see from the pictures, the camera and strap were caked with mud. After a good spraying down with the hose, it is back to new.




I look forward to this race every year. Next year my youngest daughter will be old enough to run it with me. She is looking forward to sharing this good time and challenge with me. I have another race coming up in November of this year that is another obstetrical/mud run that is 12 miles long. That is going to take some serious training to get ready for that. This old man is up for the challenge.





Special thanks to Catherine at Red Frog Events for working with me on permission to use the Warrior logo.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the post. Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As hard as it was, and physically challenging... Yes it was fun.

      Delete
  2. That looked like it was a great time and it looked very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you....it looks like you are enjoying your extracurricular activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talked with my sister-in-law and you actually competed on the same day she and her husband did. You all did the Warrior Dash. She just loves the competition and has a close group of friends and family to train and compete with.
    Does your family also enjoy the activities with you like the Dash?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you explain more of what my sister-in-law and her entire family are actually doing when they mud run? Is it just running a length through the mud or is it more like an obstacle course.
    I think an obstacle course through mud and water and other things would be great...as long as the weather is nice. Are mud-runs only for the physically fit?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and your comments. Comments are moderated, I review them and remove any spam before posting. I check messages often.
Thanks Rob