Monday, May 27, 2013

Trike Drifting


      Trike Drifting is a relatively new sport. In a nut shell, it is a Big Wheel for adults. These are custom made trikes that use PVC wheels which allows for easy sliding. These trikes are constructed from parts of a 20 inch bicycle.The mid and rear frame, along with the axles are custom made and welded together. The wheels are custom made using 4 inch PVC pipe.
   These trikes are self propelled and need a hill that has a good down hill grade. If you find a long enough hill you have a nice long ride sliding around corners and relying on your drifting skill too keep the trike from spinning out. If you are good enough at controlling your trike you can spin it 360 degrees around and keep rolling forward. It is a lot of fun when you have several friends that you can down hill Drift with. I have drafted two friends that are also building trikes to ride with me.
   This fulfills two things I like, one would be custom making things to ride, and the second is riding anything with wheels. The added fun of riding with friends makes this a lot of fun. This is one of these riding sports that you can get hurt on. So we practice safety. I recommend always wearing a helmet, wear close tie shoes, and you must make sure you really have good brakes. Since this riding requires you to ride on the road, you must always be aware of the traffic and stay on you side of the road. Be fast, but be safe.
       My long term goal would be to organize some downhill races. This is where my competitive nature kicks in. Why ride when you can race.


2 comments:

  1. That looks like fun. I've not seen one yet. Will keep an eye out. We have some roads here that would work great I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this with my cousins big wheel trike a couple of years ago, didn't realize I needed a custom made one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and your comments. Comments are moderated, I review them and remove any spam before posting. I check messages often.
Thanks Rob