Sunday, June 2, 2013

Mountain Biking is the Variety


If you are looking to add a good workout to your weekly routine, I recommend trail riding on a Mountain Bike. I have recently taken up Mountain Biking and I really like the challenge it brings. I get several things out of this sport. The first would be getting to be outside. I love being outside in the weather and breathing the fresh air, and seeing the beauty of nature. The second is the actual workout you get from riding the bike. You can ride a stationary bike all day long, and not get the same work out that comes with riding a trails. You are challenged with obstacles that keep your reaction times quick. The older you get the slower your reactions times become. I think staying fit and participating in these type sports that are more on the extreme side, keeps your reaction times sharp.

The current trail I have been riding has a lot of trees that you have to think quickly on how you need to maneuver around them. The terrain of the trial has a long gradual uphill grade that works the legs muscles. By the time you get to the top of the hill my legs are burning. The ride back down the hill is the best part of the ride to me. You pick up speed and the ride down is quick. You have to stay sharp with your reaction times or you could quickly end up in a tree.

The below video is a short clip on the down hill portion of my ride.


As in any sport you need to make sure you are protecting yourself from any harm that may come to you while riding. Sometimes things happen, and if you crash you want to make sure you are protecting yourself. I pay close attention to my head and wear a helmet. I wear a BMX/Skateboard helmet. I like the feel of these helmets better than road bike helmets. The BXM helmet also has areas on the helmet to attached my mounts for my GoPro® cameras. I have always said, "Be Fast, Be Safe"
I like a variety in my workouts as you can see from my other Blog posts. This keep you from getting bored with any one of your activities. Without a doubt running is tough on the joints from the high impact that comes with running outside. That is another reason why I pay close attention to this now that I am 52. There is only so much your older bones can take. Running everyday will surly wear out my bones too quick. Nothing wrong with variety. Mix it up, run some, ride some.


5 comments:

  1. I tried attaching a GoPro to my handlebars but it was all shaky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite in on my helmet. I think it give the best shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son has likes to mountain bike. He has found the Charlotte White Water Center a great place to bike. You don't have to pay for the entire park, you pay by what activities you will participate in only. You can also just enjoy the day there without doing activities for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention another comment of the Charlotte White Water Center...

    My son likes to go on during the summer when they also have free concerts in the evenings. He bikes, then showers and changes, then he is there for the evening of great music, food, and of course beer.
    It is also a family friendly place too. I hope you family can check it out this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to give it a try sometime. Thanks

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and your comments. Comments are moderated, I review them and remove any spam before posting. I check messages often.
Thanks Rob